Last week, one of the members of my BBM group suggested getting tattoos after work. It was something that I had been thinking about every since I got my first one a couple of years ago. I was excited about the idea and agreed to meet up with a few folks at the chosen destination. It turned out that the artists at this particular location were booked for the rest of the day. We could have waited around to see if they could fit us in but that idea did not sit well with either of us. Instead, we decided to hit up a nearby spot for happy hour. Upscale spot with a reputation of being a good meet and greet. The reputation was well earned. Sisters had left work, went home, and put on their man catching outfits. Dudes were putting their best mack moves on anybody willing to listen. Drinks were flowing. The DJ was playing a good blend of hip-hop and soul music. I told myself that I need to make it back to this spot for the next happy hour. We sat down and started in on some drinks and tapas that we ordered.
It was only when I got a chance to sit down and people watch did I observe all of the violations of happy hour conduct that were taking place.
1. Stop passing out business cards if you only want the booty. Just put her number in your phone so you can send that late night text.
2. Engage people in conversation. If you are standing or sitting all alone and not talking to the people around you, you look crazy.
3. If it is not casual Friday, why are you at happy hour in shorts, flip-flops, and a white tee? Ever heard the saying, Clothes make the man? That might not be true but the concept of happy hour is that working professionals are meeting up after work. You just finished playing a serious game of Madden on Xbox.
4. You have to drive home so why are you so drunk that you can barely stand up. There is nothing more unattractive to me than a woman who cannot control her liquor. Do not be sloppy.
5. The one disturbing trend that I noticed more than anything else was dudes walking through the spot and staring at all the women. Not speaking but just walking through as if they were on patrol. What type of game is that? I guess the women were supposed to see these irresistible dudes and speak first. Must work somewhere but it did not work that night.